Friday, April 13, 2018

Red Hood and the Outlaws #21 Vol. 2

How will Bizarro react to Artemis learning his secret? And what is Jason doing?

SPOILERS AHEAD

Artemis orders Bizarro to release her axe and he does asking for her help. As this is going on Jason is undercover over playing his role. Penguin gets a woman to bring Jason to him and reveals he know the guy is Red Hood. Bizarro and Artemis talk about his deteriorating mental state. Jason escapes while Artemis gets Bizarro to destroy the Kryptonite containers. At a diner Jason sits with Alfred and questions whether he/the bat family are the problem. Once Alfred leaves Ma Gunn's granddaughter shows up to give Jason the letters from his dad.


Overall: One thing I love about this issue is how it shows just how intelligent the characters are and how they out maneuver each other. Bizarro does everything to keep Artemis off balance but still manages to keep some secrets even if he appeared to have lost. Artemis doesn't trust that it's all over and goes to Lex Luthor for answers. Ma Gunn plans ahead to ensure Willis' letters are delivered. Jason is undercover, is discovered by Penguin but still out thinks him. I love seeing Jason be in control like this.

The number of plans he mentions reminds me of him saying something similar to Roy in the first issue of the first volume. He plans everything out and knew the woman worked for Penguin simply because he was being overly obvious. There's no way Penguin wouldn't know. It's too much of an act but even he had to wonder if he was over doing it.

I didn't know how the Artemis and Bizarro confrontation would end but I'm glad it's not a cliche or out of character for Bizarro in terms of an actual battle. I'm not saying it couldn't be done well if that were the case I just find this take refreshing. Scott Lobdell has a habit of keeping me on my toes.

I like to break down scenes and tiny details which might not be important to the plot. But I wonder if Willis taught Jason how to gamble since he seems to be on a winning streak.

The talk between Bizarro and Artemis reminds me a little of Jason's "city" talk in the first arc of this vol. While Bizarro saw it as a pretty place then he doesn't see humanity as that great because of its flaws. He recognizes the fact Jason cares since he came from Gotham and see Artemis/him as outsiders. I understand why he sees things this way but he fails to see that Jason doesn't think he belongs anywhere. Which has been something of a theme in the three RH ongoing. The dangerous line of thinking is when Bizarro says "We're better than them. All of them."

Well if any of that isn't bull that is.

Artemis doesn't buy it though and tells him to be the real him since she cares about his well being. Which Bizarro finds endearing since she's never let him get away with anything. I like that Artemis questions if being the old him was so bad since it has her getting him to think for himself and suggests she doesn't think he was so bad. Explaining how daunting it would be to have anything be possible then lose it all to revert back is heartbreaking. I'm still not sure how honest he's being since I believe he's only staying smart for Jason. With Artemis he's been evasion while he shown more vulnerable around Jason and almost confessed.

Bizarro suddenly trying to kiss Artemis just seemed to come out of no where. I mean that was awkward in a way that has you mentally go, "no, no, NO !" Mostly because he's basically a kid to them. Not to mention they never had anything remotely romantic between them. Say what you want about whether you want Jason and Artemis together they at least have that built up. We know Jason is attracted to her when Bizarro never expressed that interest. I think that's the point as her expression clearly says it's unexpected for her too. But I can't see him being genuine especially since he knows Jason cares about her. I'm of two minds about this. It's a ruse or if genuine:

I think it mostly has to do with Bizarro having no experience (outside of the Annual) with romance. Artemis hasn't had many of these moments with him and I think that would be easy to confuse emotions for someone still discovering them. I do wonder if Artemis is reluctant to start things with Jason because of the reason she gives Bizarro. She reacts differently to them with her letting Bizarro know it's not happening while she hasn't entirely vetoed the idea with Jason.

I believe most Jason fans adore his interactions with Alfred and I'm no different. From a meta standpoint there's a lot of things to discuss. It's another bonding scene with food which Jason has had with Bruce and Tim. Dick too now that I think of it since Bizarro gave him beans in the Annual. I mentioned it in another post but sharing a meal seems to usually be used as a means to bond. Plus Jason has food issues. Jason has been wearing red hoodies yet he's wearing a grey one. Is this a subtle way of show his frustrations with his mission? He mostly, not always, wears red so maybe?

The fact that Jason is so open to Alfred really shows how upset he is and I don't think he could currently do that with anyone else in the family. Alfred doesn't have an answer for Jason. Instead of reasurring him like he's done with other members of the family he tells Jason to get back to them when Jason has an answer. Which is kinda dismissive since he pays the tab, mentions meeting elsewhere some other time and leaves. I like that Lobdell shows Alfred isn't perfect and makes some mistakes with Jason too. I don't believe he's being sarcastic or cruel. I see it as Alfred not getting how important this conversation is.

Alfred has heard variations of the same questions before and asked them himself. In fact his request that Jason give them an answer implies as much, Alfred probably doesn't have one himself that Jason will believe. When he asks that Jason come to Sunday brunch Jason looks sad when he says that he doesn't think he'll go. Which is probably a day the family gets together but once again the idea of Jason not seeing himself as part of that family is underlined.

Then we get introduced to Ma Gunn's granddaughter named after her, Faye. Checking back at her first appearance Ma Gunn does mention having sons making the fact she has a granddaughter make perfect sense. I suppose this also means her letter saying she was seeing family was from her and not Bizarro. There nothing to really say about Faye the new generation yet. Her appearance does show how crafty Ma Gunn is and I love how the dangerous the package is hyped up. Make no mistake these are letters of doom. Last time Jason had someone give him family items it led him to his death.

Bizarro didn't get rid of all of the kryptonite much to the dismay of the ever adorable but suffering Pup Pup. I didn't really think he would as his decline in intelligence leaves a lot of loose ends for him. Honestly I would have been disappointed if he just folded this quickly after everything he's done.

I'm eagerly anticipating the next issue to learn more on Artemis' past and finally get into Willis' letters. I don't know how the Penguin stuff fits into that plot. Did they work together? Why would Jason forgo reading information Gunn left for him that she went missing for to pester Penguin again? I thought he didn't want to be responsible for that? I guess we'll see but I've been waiting for the plot for a long time.



Say What?: I love that Jason mentally asks if he's going too far with his undercover persona. He's asked the same thing at least twice when he was being a little harsh with Roy in the previous books. There's a type of vulnerability there (depending on the context) yet a self awareness too. Like he's second guessing himself. Though this one might just be him seeing the humor in it.

I just have to mention Jason's humor while in disguise. Gotham means city meaning it's city city, I love it.

Aunt Petuina? That's a Ben Grimm saying.

Jason saying the phrase "March this Penguin."

It's a good line but do you really want to meet someone and say you're glad they don't look like a family member of theirs?

The spanky thing made me think Lobdell has written something like that before for Jason and I couldn't recall when. Then it came to me, he didn't write it before but it was kinda implied with the Red Arse ad.



Did You Notice?: Bizarro sees his corrected S symbol reflected back into his old symbol on the Kryptonite vials.

Villains clapping for Jason should become more of a thing because this is either the second or third time it's happened. I can't recall if Joker ever did but it's just fun.

What happened to the woman's two piece outfit? It's a long one piece dress later?

Jason looks really classy with his helmet on but when did he put the gloves on? Where did he keep the helmet?!



Questions Raised?: How many times has Penguin done this set up? Does he just love sending women to seduce guys and being a mood killer? Now I'm imaging him doing this with everyone, it's both disturbing and hilarious.

Also, is it a custom to gloat (with wine no less) with your enemy ? I'd love to think there were guide lines for villain etiquette.

No comments:

Post a Comment