Saturday, February 10, 2018

Short Review: Genesis

I have to be honest, I don't recall hearing about this mini series. Which was part of the reason I got it. I was curious since I knew nothing about it plus Artemis was also on a couple covers.

Old SPOILERS AHEAD

A wave of power dubbed the godwave is causing powers in superheroes to be fluctuating and people to lose faith. Some to the point they commit suicide. When things are bleak Darkseid has decided to make a grab for power.

This series is four issues long and the first two issues were honestly hard to get through. I just found most of those two issues to be tedious. The idea of people losing faith because of something to do with Gods is interesting but the execution didn't work for me. As I don't recall anyone else linking all these heroes together by their powers after this event I'm not sure what impact it made except for Darkseid being temporarily inconvenienced.

I know a great deal of DC lore and even I was lost when they refer to Ares as someone one of the three Amazons present calls father. I assumed this was a nod to some mythology having Ares fathered Amazons and meant Hippolyta was his kid. But Artemis is apparently the daughter? I haven't read anything that even hinted at this before. She's from a group of Amazons that stopped worshipping the Greek gods. Yeah they haven't mentioned the oddness of her name in any of the old canon issues I've read, at least not yet, but this is still out of left field to me. I'm still reading back issues so I'll update if this is explained.

When Kanto the assassin showed up attacking Artemis I remembered something I saw on a forum once about them being an item. According to an entry I just found on Kanto this mini series confirms that. It doesn't. Artemis agrees with Impulse that Darkseids' forces are trained for savagery not skill. Kantos hits her from behind pointing out that's not entirely true while calling her "my pretty one." That's the only time they interact. Now maybe it happens in Wonder Woman but it's not in Genesis.

A couple of important details apparently happened off panel. Characters are introduced by other characters for no real in universe reason. The last two parts were more engaging as something finally happens but overall this wasn't for me. I wouldn't recommend this for newcomers that might be confused.

No comments:

Post a Comment