Tuesday, February 6, 2018

Final Night

Can anyone save the world when the sun is being eaten?

Old SPOILERS AHEAD

The ironically named Dusk is the survivor of a planet destroyed by the Sun Eater and goes from planet to planet warning others of it's coming. Starfire loses her second husband and her second home world then strangely never shows up in the story again. Dusk ends up on Earth which gets the heroes to make plans on how to stop "the darkest night" which the stranded Legion members vaguely know of. But with the sun block Superman loses his powers making Lex Luthor one of the only options for their survival.

I really enjoyed this story which shows a hopeless situation and how people act in those moments. Trying to bring others cheer, placing blame and the struggle makes for an engaging read. Upon reflection I realize Dusk's arc does seem a little pointless. Yes she's frustrated but this is hardly the first time she's been misblamed. Letting her see that humanity is worth saving really doesn't make sense given her mission nor does it factor into a solution. Was Dusk supossed to be a bigger character? Her role in warning them could have easily been given to Starfire.

I haven't read much of the Legion of Superheroes mainly because there's so many versions of them. I liked every member that was in this especially Brainy. His scenes with Luthor were fun as Lex won't take his crap and has no problem yelling at him. In a way the LOSH are there to remind us that everything will be alright, one member even points out that if they still exist the world couldn't have been destroyed.

This is the third story in a row that I've read that has Lex Luthor in it and I really like how he's written in this. His reaction to the hero banter and people around him was a highlight. He's cool and collected for most of this. Except when he can't get enough information and one particular moment that I found humanizing. Some might see it otherwise but as Superman points out it's a very human reaction.

I knew this story was tied to Hal but I didn't read the one shot connected to this. Kyle disappears a couple times and we only learn later it's linked to Hal. I'm not a Hal Jordan fan, in fact I'm fairly certain I'd hate him if I read him more often. But he's good in this I was actually moved when he talked to a member of the LOSH. I want to know how his meetings with Kyle went so I'll have to read that issue. His friend's reactions were very heartfelt even Batman's refusal to forget or forgive what Hal did in the past.

Maybe more should have been added by lengthening it a couple issue. Otherwise I had a lot of fun with this one which honestly surprised me.

No comments:

Post a Comment