Tuesday, December 19, 2017

Red Hood and the Outlaws # 17 Vol. 2

The Outlaws have to work with the Suicide Squad.

SPOILERS AHEAD


Jason and Artemis quickly get annoyed with most of the SS. Harley, much to Jason's disgust, tries to share body warmth with him. They try to contact Waller but she can't get through and promptly decides their on their own. Bizarro takes command since he knows the layout of the building and creates teams.

Croc tells Jason he's sick of being assigned to the sewer level of every mission. Which I enjoy because I'm pretty sure that happens a lot. Jason directly asks if Croc has spoken to Roy. He has and it's whenever he needs a drink. Which seems like every other day when he hangs out with the Titans. Their talk gets cut short when they see Harvester is dead andleft hanging like a symbol.

Artemis is forced to work with Harley who is her usual self. Deadshot and Boomerang wonder why Bizarro even has them there. He informs them that the core was built to defend against another Kryptonian clone (Kon El.)

The moment with Croc and Jason talking about damage reminds me of Jason realizing he was failing Ducra's teachings on Kori's island. Except for the fact Jason claims he wants to use the weapons against the villains he fights and isn't worried about losing his way. Though he's still working under the no kill rule. Croc doesn't think Jason is as bad as he makes himself to be because of his friendship with Roy. He warns Jason against going down the wrong path.

Artemis isn't impressed with Harley and believes the world is better off without her in it. She stops to pray for those lost and threatens Harley if she attacks her.

Deadshot and Boomerang do the work Bizarro can't. Deadshot mocks Boomerang changing his tune to a friendlier one once Bizarro returns. They return, Waller is her usual sunny self and refuses to let them return promising to take them once they get convicted.

Jason assumes Artemis isn't happy that Bizarro is all grown up. Bizarro watches the two of them from above.


Overall: A great issue. Although she was hardly in it Amanda Waller is spot on and is somehow nicer than Kate was.

I think Croc more or less has a good idea what's going on. Not exactly though since even Roy wasn't certain what Jason was really like as Red Hood at the start of the first volume. Roy assumed Jason lived like a super villain, hated his family to the point he'd refuse to help them and that he'd shoot S'aru. I do believe Roy hoped Jason at least had the same heart he did as Robin. I honestly loved when I read Croc not believing Roy would be friends with Jason if he was as badass as he convinces everyone he was.

There's a lot of reasons to love what Croc says here. The fact that Killer Croc knows Red Hood is a good kid just based off of who supports him and Batwoman thinks so little of him really speaks volumes of said characters. Jason IS a good kid and while he projects a tough facade I think it's more of a survival instinct than him being a poser. It also has to do with him feeling like he has to be tougher to do the things others won't. I love how this scene between them really speak to both characters. Croc giving some good advise and trying to prevent Jason from ending up like him. And trying to get him to do better for his friends.

He doesn't know that Red Hood is undercover but it still speaks to Jason. Because he's constantly worrying what he's really like. I also love the silent panel of them before Jason asks if he wants half of the loot which Croc agrees with.

As someone who always considered herself fairly indifferent to Harley Quinn I've recently come to realize that she has started to annoy the hell out of me or is so boring I find myself losing interest. The latter isn't a factor in her appearance in this title but it was when I read my sister's anniversary issue of the HQ series. I feel like Artemis speaks for me here. I like Artemis praying which does remind me a little of the respect Jason showed to his mentors but also an older appearance of hers. There was a Wonder Woman arc where her allies and Batman's teamed up. Artemis was with Huntress and religion was discussed. It was a nice portrayal for Artemis.

Other than giving orders Bizarro doesn't do much in this issue. His powers changed which only Artemis verbally questions. I've been thinking about his reasoning for separating the group with different SS and here's my guess. He takes Deadshot and Boomerang for obvious reasons, he can't take out the devise while they can. I do wonder why he went to these lengths and if he did something else we didn't see while they were working. He technically didn't have to even be in that area and could have assigned others there.

Depending on how much Bizarro knows he could have put Artemis and Jason with people solely based on how it would affect Jason. He also makes sure Jason doesn't look for potential teenager survives in the area they were slaughtered. Though I wouldn't want Harley looking through weapons either. I was kind of disappointed we never got any answers for what Harley did to Jason. That was the one thing that intrigued me with the character in years.



Questions Raised?: Why didn't Waller give her team gear for the cold weather? I didn't mention this last issue because I was wondering if their wearing a devise to warm themselves up but their not.


Say What?: The way Croc says "friends" makes it obvious how he sees the Titans role in Roy's life as a bad influence. In Titans Hunt Roy did fall off the wagon. I haven't heard anything good about his role in the current Titans title.

Artemis "Grace"? Where did that name come from?

I like how Captain Boomerang has a character summary that can only describe him as someone that throws boomerang.



Did you notice?: Artemis doesn't have green eyes.

Symbolism with the panels of Jason holding a wing in one hand and a gun in another.

2 comments:

  1. To be perfectly honest, I've found the entire of Bizarro Reborn as Lobdell's weakest arc yet. It feels like it lacks a strong direction. That said, I really enjoyed this issue for essentially being a huge love letter from Lobdell his N52 work.

    The Croc and Jason scenes completely justified the inclusion of the SS (even I thought the reasons for Boomerang and Deadshot were pretty weak) and well, I'm a sucker for anything that acknowledges Roy and Jason's bromance. The dig towards Titans is completely earned because Roy isn't being treated well there and going by the solicits it'll only get worse. Can't we get Roy back to the Outlaws?

    Artemis paying her respects to the fallen while a nice scene, it felt completely superfluous. Although in general I feel that every time Lobdell writes her outside the dynamics with Jason and Bizarro, it ends being the weakest part of the story. You can only do so much with her "stoic, honor bound warrior" personality, especially now that she got the Bow of Ra back and thus completed the arc set at the start of the series.

    Not much to say about Bizarro because as you pointed out, he's pretty much just a plot device to move the story forward.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't decide until I see the bigger picture. If I know why Bizarro is going to these lengths it might make me appreciate this arc more. That will probably happen while Kate facing Bruce for what she did in this arc likely won't happen.

    In general I think it was something that had to happen. Killer Croc has had some great work in different books and is becoming a favorite bat baddie.

    Artemis still has tons of potential since, like Jason and Bizarro to a degree, writers have barely addressed her. We could learn a great deal about her family, connection to Diana, what she did before the Outlaws, etc. Not every character has to do something major every issue. Lobdell just needs to focus on her in another arc. Like she said Bizarro helped her realize that she needs to discover who she is.

    It's a set up I'm looking forward to.

    ReplyDelete