Thursday, August 17, 2017

Theory on Artemis

I don't think this will come up anytime soon but it got me thinking about the possibilities.



When Jason asks about the Bana-Mighdall Artemis tells Jason that their origins come from her foremother. If the story remains the same it means that her foremother was Antiope meaning she could be a blood relative of Diana. This would make sense as her mother seemed to truly believe Artemis was destined to become a great leader of their people.


Artemis of Bana-Mighdall: Even before I was born I had assurances. Mother would speak to me every night before we slept. She told me I would be named Artemis. That I was destined for greatness--a warrior without peer. I was to be a benevolent but firm representative of my people...the champion of the Amazons...


I also wondered what was the status of the Egyptian gods relationship with the Bana-Mighdall. Akila and Artemis both mentioned their people being abandoned yet we see a goddess talking to a younger Artemis. The gods also chose Akila to become the Shim'Tar. I found this curious:


Artemis of Bana-Mighdall: The origin of my name is Greek. But the Gods I worshipped were Egyptian. And that probably should of been my first clue...that it was all a damn lie.


We find out later that Akila assumed the role Artemis was led to believe she was supposed to have. Having a Greek name never made sense to me even if I understood the writer's reasoning for it. That being a nod to her being similar to Diana by using different names for basically the same goddess. The Roman and Greek versions. In the context of the world they live in it's definitely odd. Why would she be named after a Greek goddess when they abandoned those gods for new deities ? Was it because Artemis' mother and/or family worshipped the Greek gods making the Egyptian patrons spend less time listening to their followers ?

No comments:

Post a Comment