Monday, May 22, 2017

DC Comics August Solicits

There's some new titles and some extra books I will be getting.


GREEN ARROW ANNUAL #1
Written by BENJAMIN PERCY
Art by ELEANORA CARLINI
Cover by JAMAL CAMPBELL
Christmas is a time for reflection, relatives and…revenge! So says Count Vertigo, who returns to Seattle to send Oliver Queen on a violent, mind-bending journey into his own past and future. The hidden secrets of GREEN ARROW are laid bare in this oversize special that tests the already tenuous bonds between Team Arrow, featuring the long-awaited returns of Shado, Diggle and the dark archer Merlyn!
On sale AUGUST 30 • 48 pg, FC, $4.99 US • RATED T+


I don't know if I'll be stick around in the future for Roy appearances but this is a potential buy for me. I'm curious how the Arrow family works in current canon.



JUSTICE LEAGUE #26
Written by BRYAN HITCH • Art by FERNANDO PASARIN and OCLAIR ALBERT • Cover by BRYAN HITCH • Variant cover by NICK BRADSHAW
“LEGACY” part one! A group of heroes from a post-apocalyptic future escape into the past to stop their world from coming to be. But to do it they’re going to need the help of the Justice League—who just happen to be these time travelers’ parents!
On sale AUGUST 2 • 32 pg, $2.99 US • RATED T


No sign of Jon or Damian although I wonder if certain time travelers will appear.



RED HOOD AND THE OUTLAWS #13
Written by SCOTT LOBDELL
Art by DEXTER SOY
Cover by MIKE McKONE
Variant cover by GUILLEM MARCH
Includes a code for a free digital download of this issue.
“THE LIFE OF BIZARRO” part two! Bizarro is dead…or is he? To save Bizarro’s life, Red Hood and Artemis must turn to Lex Luthor, Bizarro’s creator, who claims he can resurrect their fallen friend. But what plans does Luthor have for his one-time companion? The battle for Bizarro begins here!
On sale AUGUST 9 • 32 pg, FC, $3.99 US • RATED T+



An encounter with Lex was inevitable but will Simon appear? He is Jason's expert in alien DNA. Sure Lex would know about Bizarro since he had him made but I like Simon. Forever Evil was part of the Rebirth Bizarro origin which makes me wonder how much that connection still exists. Does Jason know Lex killed then revived Dick?



RED HOOD AND THE OUTLAWS ANNUAL #1
Written by SCOTT LOBDELL
Art and cover by TYLER KIRKHAM
“Brothers in Arms”! When Red Hood discovers a new wave of criminal activity in Gotham City with a traveling circus at its epicenter, he recruits Nightwing to help the Outlaws infiltrate the big top! Can the two would-be brothers put their differences aside and crack the case? Or will their division be the harbinger of their demise?
On sale AUGUST 30 • 48 pg, FC, $4.99 US • RATED T+



Once again Lobdell catches me off guard with something I wasn't expecting. Partly because I expected one of the plot lines he mentioned in a podcast interview not an encounter with Dick. I don't like a lot of the writing others have done with the relationship which usually read like it was just there for plot reasons not actual development. There were hints in Lobdell's past Red Hood work and I'm glad to see it get fleshed out more. No mention of digital code.



TITANS #14

For some reason I can't load the cover for this issue but I can't make heads or tales out of it. Are they in water ? If so the water isn't moving their hair enough. Why is there a stack of pizza boxes? I need to know.



TRINITY #12
Written by ROB WILLIAMS • Art and cover by CLAY MANN • Variant cover by BILL SIENKIEWICZ
Includes a code for a free digital download of this issue.
“DARK DESTINY” part one! Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman must turn to the mystic trinity of Dead Man, Zatanna and John Constantine when Red Hood, Artemis and Bizarro are sacrificed into the depths of the Pandora Pits by Circe and Ra’s al Ghul.

On sale AUGUST 16 • 32 pg, FC, $3.99 US • RATED T

A multi-part arc with the two groups needs to be done, I'm just surprised Lobdell isn't doing it first. I'm a little nervous that another writer is using Jason, Artemis and Bizarro. I don't know if their be written well until I read it. Fingers crossed.



 NIGHTWING: THE NEW ORDER #1
Written by KYLE HIGGINS • Art and cover by TREVOR McCARTHY • Variant cover by PAUL POPE
NIGHTWING: THE NEW ORDER is the story of a future world without “weapons”—where superpowers have been eliminated and outlawed. The man responsible? None other than Dick Grayson, a.k.a. Nightwing, now leader of a government task force called the Crusaders who are charged with hunting the remaining Supers. But when events transpire which turn the Crusaders’ aim toward Grayson’s own family, the former Boy Wonder must turn against the very system he helped create, with help from the very people he’s been hunting for years—the last metahumans of the DC Universe. Don’t miss this bold new vision from the team behind the New York Times bestseller BATMAN: GATES OF GOTHAM!
On sale AUGUST 23 • 32 pg, FC, 1 of 6, $3.99 US • RATED T+


The controversial Elseworlds title that has people talking that invokes Nazi imagery and has Dick in the role of one of the oppressors. I tried a couple Higgins written Nightwing books before and I wasn't impressed. I didn't like how he wrote Dick, I recall really disliking him in fact. The Captain America/Hydra stuff was bad. Whether it's a good story or not the real world outcome wasn't good. Captain America is being used in posters for hate groups. Nightwing won't have as big of an impact but the timing is ill. Personally I have no interest in the title because of the writer and my lack of interest in the idea. Honestly I want a title where Batman needs to be stopped.



GOTHAM ACADEMY: SECOND SEMESTER #12
Written by BRENDEN FLETCHER, BECKY CLOONAN and KARL KERSCHL
Art by ADAM ARCHER, MSASSYK and SANDRA HOPE
Cover by KARL KERSCHL
“The Ballad of Olive Silverlock” finale! It all comes down to this. With Olive poised to raze the city to the ground, Maps is determined to make one final crusade in the name of friendship. But life isn’t school, and if she fails…all of Gotham could pay the price! Don’t miss the final issue of this beloved series!
On sale AUGUST 9 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED T • FINAL ISSUE

I haven't written a review for this series in a while although I plan to do a write up after the series has ended. There's some things I really like and some that I feel need more development. I'm actually worried about the fate of one of the characters. The cover for this is very cute. Whether these characters turn up again? It would be nice especially to follow up on the Maps and Damian bond. It's one of the few times he's been humanized without having him switching gears to transform back into a little jerk.



Jack Kirby One Shot Titles

I either don't know the writers involved (if I read them before I forgot) or I'm not interested in getting more of their work. Sure Dan Jurgens is listed but it's on a title co-written with Steve Orlando. I'm avoiding any titles with any writer that wrote in the Batman Eternal books. Maybe the Darkseid title.




I thought Tynion was only on Batwoman for a short time. Is this his last issue or will he be sticking around? Three books with RHATO? I'm happy about that. If Trinity is good I might have two titles for a couple more months. I'll be down a title with Gotham Academy ending so I'll be considering other ongoing titles to take it's place. I'm still disappointed by the lack of Booster Gold/Time Masters books. Really DC? You could have hyped them up with the Watchmen stuff. I miss them...

2 comments:

  1. Count Vertigo? I love Count Vertigo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. He was in a previous Green Arrow issue in the origins of Roy. Somehow he used his powers to get Roy high to try to use him against Ollie.

    ReplyDelete