Saturday, January 7, 2017

Saw this meme so I figured why not

I chose Booster Gold for this one but if anyone wants a different character let me know.

Give me a character and I will answer:
  • Why I like them
  • Why I don’t
  • Favorite episode (scene if movie)
  • Favorite season/movie
  • Favorite line
  • Favorite outfit
  • OTP
  • Brotp
  • Head Canon
  • Unpopular opinion
  • A wish
  • An oh-god-please-don't-ever-happen
  • 5 words to best describe them
  • My nickname for them

Why I like them: I can and have written essays on this for Booster and other characters but I'll try to make this shorter. I like different personalities but I think I have an affection for the underdog. Booster is a character that could easily be stereotypical (sadly some writers have written him that way in the past.) He was a jock, he was poor, he's a twin, he pursued fame and wealth. Anyone of those traits can be done to the extreme to overshadow who he is. Jurgens and some other writers have made a more complete character that plays with those perceptions and examines who Booster really is. He's a hero with a lot of heart that made mistakes in the past and is trying to become something more. I'm stopping here because I feel another essay coming.


Why I don't: Well I mostly don't like it when writers make him stupid or overly selfish just because they can or think that's who the character is. There's also been a lot of confusion over Ted and him since some forget Booster was the straight man of the duo. As far as his more in character persona? I don't like it when he's written as overly flirty and it's cringe worthy. Maybe it'd be that way when he first arrived in the past but having him call a woman "sweetcheeks" whether in jest or not is just bad. 


Favorite Episode (scene if movie): There's a lot to chose from but honestly I still love his dynamic with Max in JLGL. It's the only time "evil" Max works and it's the only time Booster truly has a worthy archenemy. All of their interactions in this series were amazing. Max knows damn well how great Booster is because he's the one that got him into the JL. Their friendship was a real treat to see again, you can see how Max relates to him and even admires where they differ, While the scene makes no sense as far as how Booster's flight powers work (it's the FLIGHT RING not the suit) I adore the bit with their final encounter. 

Booster tackling Max not only reminds me of his time as a quarterback (which also came into play in 52) but it's literally how they first met. Max broke into his house and tried to manipulate Booster/the JL. Both of them have done questionable things, even the Time Masters do questionable things, so how far are both willing to go? Killing has been a topic that was toyed with a little with Booster in past stories. He's threatened to do it back when readers still weren't sure what his stance was. Here he decides to take Max with him as he jumps. Which doesn't scare Max since he knows that if Booster can use his abilities he won't let him die. Which is proven correct. The whole thing is a great character piece but I love the comparisons here.


Favorite Season/Movie: I'll take this as story arc. JLGL and 52 are high but I'll say 52 Pick Up. I picked it because this is the point where Booster has to give up his dream to make a truly heroic sacrifice. To be the hero that everyone thinks is nothing but a fraud. Remember the aftermath of Kooey Kooey Kooey and how Booster blew up because he was always the butt of everyone's jokes? If you do you know what a big deal this is for him.


Favorite Line: It's honestly hard to pick one. You have the funny lines and then you have the heartfelt ones. I've been thinking of doing a post of my favorite ones for awhile. If I ever get around to it I'll have quite a list.


Favorite Outfit: I don't hate the collar but it definitely looks dated to me. I'd say his second series uniform is my favorite and it doesn't need an update. If Ted Kord and the Goldstar looks don't need constant redesigning than why change his costume? Don't mess with perfection. 


OTP: Uh, I guess whoever his future wife is? I did want him to get together with Trixie then Godiva in new 52 JLI but nothing really came out of either potential relationship. Booster is kind of odd in a sense because he is supposed to be dating but we barely see any of it. 


Brotp: There are two that are tied for this spot. His friendship with Ted and Skeets.


Headcanon: This has more to do with Rip than Booster but I believe Rip had a period of teenage rebellion. He didn't want to keep secrets his whole life and tried to escape it all. Which would be the most stressful time of Booster's life because he doesn't want to enforce this life but Rip Hunter has to exist. It would extremely hard for him to try to be a father and Time Master.


Unpopular Opinion(s): I don't like ICBINTJL or FKATJL. I didn't like the Giffin/Dematteis run on Booster Gold either but those two series pissed me off so much. There's a lot of reasons but the two main ones were Booster acting out of character through most of it (the reasoning felt tacked on) and how everyone treated him like crap. I don't like cruel humor. I think that Booster is a far better friend to Ted than Ted is to him. I also didn't think the "Green Lantern" thing was as funny as everyone else does.


A Wish: A new Booster Gold series that is written by someone I trust to get his character right.


An oh-god-please-don't-ever-happen: Besides certain writers using him, I don't want him to be written cliched/badly again.


5 words to best describe them: Greatest Underappreciated Time Traveling Hero ?


My Nickname for them: Well Booster IS his in canon nickname but I did call the Waverider hybrid Booster Rider.

3 comments:

  1. I have to agree with practically all of your opinions... especially that Ted wasn't as good a friend as Booster was. And I love Ted, but boy was he immature.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm predictable so... Jason! :))

    ReplyDelete