Saturday, June 4, 2016

Last Week before Rebirth Books

I have some mixed feelings on Red Hood/Arsenal and Green Lanterns Corps Edge of Oblivion ending. While I'm sure things won't totally alienating once their, uh...rebirth-ed, it still feels like the end of an era. 

I usually like to get my GL books in trade but I missed them enough to follow the corps during their journey. I won't be getting the Hal Jordon title, to be honest I'm not sure why Guy and John can't have their own series again. For awhile we had a lot of Lantern books and it feels odd to quit after following them for a year. ...Now that I think about it I don't think GLCEOO or Lost Army ever explained how they got into this predicament in the first place. Which will make this storyline be more than a little pointless if it's not mentioned in the last issue...or where ever this tale truly ends.

Red Hood/Arsenal is going to be a bigger gut punch because I've been following their story since the new 52 began. Many writers attempt to build buddy dynamics or bromances but few succeed at making them feel natural. This was one of the few that worked and was one of the greatest things about this and RHATO VOL. 1. Jason Todd and Roy Harper are parting ways with Jason going on to Red Hood and the Outlaws VOL. 2 and Roy going to the Titans. It's doubtful if Titans will ever mention this friendship and it's sad to think they might end on bad terms.

2 comments:

  1. You're right, there never really ever was an explanation for how all the Lanterns ended up in such a predicament. And Krona and Relic haven't been seen in a very long time.

    I would love to have a solo Guy book again... or even Emerald Warriors which also left a ton of plots dangling when it ended.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Guys' second ring also vanished and all the talk about the light wielders stopped. Guy also switched sides on the "who do we save" debate. The difference in storytelling is pretty glaring.

    I'd love a Guy book.

    ReplyDelete