Monday, May 16, 2016

DC Solicits for August

Nothing really earth shattering new but there are still some things worth mentioning. I guess Damian isn't appearing until Super Sons and the reboot for TT ?


BLUE BEETLE: REBIRTH #1
Written by KEITH GIFFEN • Art and cover by SCOTT KOLINS • Variant cover by CULLY HAMNER
Lost in the desert with no memory of the past few years, teenager Jaime Reyes must find his way home again—but when he reaches his town, he’s shocked to find it abandoned and in the hands of government officials…officials who are very interested in the Blue Beetle and the scarab that gives him his power! How can Jaime find his family and uncover the secret behind the town’s seizure—and why Kord Industries is helping keep the world from learning the truth?
On sale AUGUST 24 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED T


Is this completely ignoring Jaime's new 52 run? I'd be fine with that (might as well since JLI is barely canon anyway.) I didn't read much of the last run as I disliked how the characters were being written. The charm was missing. This sounds very familiar though, Jaime missing for awhile to find his life had changed. Ted's involvement definitely makes this a must buy. 


Batgirl

I know this series is supposed to be lighter but I still can't see it and think Barbara Gordon. Also: Fruit Bat? Really? 



SUPERGIRL: REBIRTH #1
Written by STEVE ORLANDO • Art by EMANUELA LUPACCHINO and RAY McCARTHY • Cover by EMANUELA LUPACCHINO • Variant cover by ADAM HUGHES.
Supergirl turns to the shadowy organization known as the D.E.O. (Department of Extranormal Operations) to restore her lost powers once and for all! But as a fateful experiment sends Kara Zor-El rocketing toward the sun, disaster strikes at home in the form of the lost Kryptonian werewolf Lar-On! All the epic action of the brand new Supergirl series starts here!
On sale AUGUST 17 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED T


Krytonian werewolf...that sounds a little Silver Age, doesn't it? Yea for making Supergirl have a connection to the TV show but I'm still stuck on the werewolf thing. Do they have Krytonian vampires too? I checked and this character is an old one. I'm just a little confused I guess.



Aquaman

Mera is still his girlfriend? I thought the marriage rule was gone since Titans Hunt had two heroes married and expecting a baby.



Batman

The new heroes are called Gotham and Gotham Girl? Are they going to form a team with Fruit Bat? What's with these names?

The "Batmen" helmets on the Detective cover look suspiciously similar to the Arkham Knight.



HAL JORDAN AND THE GREEN LANTERN CORPS

This reveals that Guy Gardner is appearing in this book. It looks like the Edge of Oblivion isn't finished yet. 



Nightwing

It sounds like Dick is going undercover when he just came back from being undercover. And he has a new mentor. I know Seeley has a love for the Owls but at this point I'd like to forget about them.



Batman Beyond

I was hoping for Terry to be back but for some reason their keeping Tim as Batman? I thought they were going back to basics.



RED HOOD AND THE OUTLAWS #1
Written by SCOTT LOBDELL • Art by DEXTER SOY • Cover by GIUSEPPE CAMUNCOLI and CAM SMITH • Variant cover by MATTEO SCALERA
“Dark Trinity” part one! When a turf war puts Black Mask in Red Hood’s crosshairs, Jason discovers that the False Face Society is not what it seems, and that the organization is about to auction off a powerful weapon. As criminals from all over the globe descend on Gotham City, Jason must prove that he belongs amongst the city’s worst in order to gain access to this Dark Summit!
On sale AUGUST 10 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED T+


Black Mask meeting up with Jason again? This could be epic. Remember how Jason played him like a fiddle last time? The False Face Society were a group that worked for Black Mask so it will be fun to see what's "not what it seems." I'm guessing the powerful weapon is Bizarro...maybe. 


Another month without anything new to interest me. If I like the new books I'm trying I might stick with them but I still only have one series I know I'm keeping. Well I will be getting a couple but I already mentioned them in previous posts. What I mean is that there aren't any new unannounced mini series, etc.

4 comments:

  1. Oh, if they completely ignore the past few years when it comes to Blue Beetle, I will be so happy I could plots.

    And..Guy! And Hal! I have to admit that I love how Hal and Guy interact.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's A LOT of things in general I hope DC ignores for Rebirth and I'll be happy if this is one of them. And if they make Ted more than this "boy genius" role they were building up.

    Guy and Hal are never boring but I still wish Guy was in a seperate book. It's like you can never follow certain GLs without having to switch them out. Who knows where Kyle is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, my interest on Nightwing just pummeleted with this solicit. Is Grayson with another name and I'm just sick of that direction. Plus there also some baffling creative choices at work, the owls have overstayed their welcome (and Robin War took any chance of them being seen as a credible threat) and did we really need another mentor for Dick?

    Not really feeling Supergirl's solicit either but who knows, the actual story could make me change my mind. I haven't checked myself but it seems DC has said the girlfriend bit was a mistake and Arthur and Mera are married post rebirth.

    Snyder has confirmed that ASB is in continuity so in the end he's still running the batman offices as his particular toybox, so I'm staying away from it until there's an actual change in direction for the characters.

    About BB, the rebirth title launches until September so I guess that explains why is still Tim the protagonist.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just don't see the point in him doing more undercover work. He just did that! Jason makes sense given his history, hell it still makes more sense than Grayson. I could see someone else--Snyder--making the Owls great again. As it is at present they come off like idiots. Taking them out of Gotham also takes away a big appeal.

    We know Dick is the "ideal Robin" and oldest. No new mentor will ever change that. Having Jason or even Damian (like with the first Nobody) having one is more intriguing. There's a chance for real conflict with a mentor that challenges Bruce's role in their lives by having different beliefs.

    Supergirl could be good the werewolf bit just threw me. Glad to hear Mera and Arthur are still married. I'm hoping this means it's possible for marriage to happen now.

    I'm still stunned that so many characters I love are back and I have no interest in reading them because of the writer. I can't stand the Eternal writers and it's frustrating that their writing these bat books.

    Good. I like Tim but it annoyed me that Terry was just killed off so he could get the ID.

    ReplyDelete