Saturday, January 7, 2012

Are editor notes really that big of a problem?

I've come across a few different sites where people complain over the little editor boxes that say "last issue" or "it happened in issue #2." I have to ask what is the big problem with this? It's not like they think we're stupid (like I've seen them be accused of) but it's rather for new readers. That's why some books have the main characters introduced every issue. Seriously try picking up a trade from the 90s if you think this is bad. I got the Clone Saga tpb and they recap everything every issue to the point you want to scream "enough already!" 

When I started comics I didn't always follow issue to issue. Sometimes I skipped story arcs if they dealt with things I didn't care for and if a story summary looked interesting I'd use those notes to figure out what books I needed. 

4 comments:

  1. Never had a problem with them - in fact, I actually appreciate it when they point me to something that I'd forgotten about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Same here. I'm not sure why it would be a bad thing. If you don't like it you don't have to read it.No harm done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never been an issue for me. I would rather have those than stories completely rehashing old story line for a couple of pages, like you said in the post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know, I can't understand all the complaints I see online.

    ReplyDelete